Queen Ayo Balogun has a long and illustrious career in Juju music and she has been performing at some of the biggest social functions in Nigeria for 30 years.
You may know of King Sunny Ade and Evangelist Ebenezer Obey as legends of Juju music but did you know that there is another legend of the genre and she is a woman? Oh, yes. Her name is Ayo Balogun and she is the queen of Juju music.
Another fun fact: She is the President of the Association of Juju Musicians in Nigeria (AJUMN). Let me tell you some things about her:
- She was born Ayotunde Kofoworola Ogunlade in Ibadan, Oyo State in 1957 and music, especially the gospel variety runs in her family.
- The grew up in Ibadan and went to primary school there before moving to Lagos in 1972.
- She had her secondary education at schools in Ojuelegba and Ikeja.
- By taking correspondence exams, she was able to get a Diploma in Music from the London Royal School of Music.
- She originally started of as a gospel singer in the church choir before going into Juju music in the mid-nineties.
- She was mentored by King Sunny Ade.
- She has been married for 36 years to Jimi Balogun.
- Queen Ayo Balogun is also the founder of “Room Affairs”, a bedding business.
- She still sings in church and is a member of the CCC Ayo Ni O parish choir
- Her band, the Harmonic Voices, is made up of thirty members and she is the only woman.
- She is the first woman to become president of the Association of Juju Musicians in Nigeria.
Queen Ayo Balogun has a long and illustrious career in Juju music and she has been performing at some of the biggest social functions in Nigeria for 30 years. We stan a legend! Have you heard any of her songs? Tell us which in the comments.
Ⓒ Copyright NET News Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Please use sharing tools. Do not cut, copy or lift any content from this website without our consent.